joewein.net   joewein.de LLC
fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days
  jwSpamSpy

Home
About Us
Spam
419/Nigeria
Fraud
Contact

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.

 

 

Fraud email example:

From: thulani_s76@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:27:36 +0200
Subject: MR THULANI MOKOENA


DEPARTMENT OF MINERAL AND ENERGY AFFAIRS

DRC Synodal Centre

234 Visage Streets

Pretoria,

South Africa.

TEL: 27-83-565-8114


ATTN: THE PRESIDENT/CEO

Good day!

I am Thulani Mokoena, Director Department of Minerals and Energy here in South Africa. I decided to send this business proposal to you after some due deliberations. We have in our position the sum of US$ 20.5M (Twenty Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars only), which is now in government suspense account of a recent contract awarded to foreign firm for the supply of machinery to our incorporation – Department of Minerals and Energy.

This is in pursuant to the terms of our agreements under the International Monetary Fund (I.M.F) and Paris Club Servicing to pay out all outstanding debt owe to foreign firms. I now seek your assistance for the transfer of the over-invoiced (surplus) amount as the beneficiary.

Also I contacted you in recognition of your personal executive profile, and investment opportunities available in your country. At this juncture, i want you to send to me your banking detail, which include your account number, telephone, fax and telex number of your bank so that we can present yourself as the rightful beneficiary of this fund to enable us put claim on the contract sum. I will manipulate and authenticate the payment of the sum in favor of your firm.

I am assuring you that it is 100% risk-free transaction because all necessary arrangement has been made from my side.

Finally, I offer you 30% of the fund due to your assistance, while the remaining 70% will be for my investment in your country.

If satisfied with this proposal, kindly notify me immediately by sending me your private telephone and fax number so that I can furnish you more detail on how this transaction will work. As soon as i secure approvals/confirmation of the payment into your account, I will make every necessary arrangement to be with you in your country before the money will hit your account.

Please, note that this transaction is highly confidential and await your immediate response.

Thanks,

Mr.Thulani Mokoena

Anti-fraud resources:

 

 

jwSpamSpy
Are you sick of spam too? Do you want it stopped now?
Try jwSpamSpy, the spamfilter we use to track the spammers!
Free 30-day trial version available now!