joewein.net   joewein.de LLC
fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days
  jwSpamSpy

Home
About Us
Spam
419/Nigeria
Fraud
Contact

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.

 

 

Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "kwame koffour" <kwamekoffour15@hotmail.com>
Reply-To: kwamekoffour@yahoo.de
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:41:51 +0000
Subject: From=Mr kwame Koffour.

From=Mr kwame Koffour.
42,independence Ave.
Accra Ghana.

Dear Sir,

REQUEST FOR MUTUAL BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP.

First, I must solicit your confidence in this transaction. I am a
highly placed official working in the Ministry of Agriculture, here
in ACCRA,GHANA, west Africa. My department (the treasury)coordinates
several thousands of millions of dollars transactions monthly.

Myself and three other colleagues from this department are currently
in need of a silent, foreign partner whose bank account we can use to
transfer the sum of Eighteen Million, Five Hundred Thousand U.S.
Dollars.This funds accrued legitimately (but discreetly) to us as
commission from a contract job awarded and executed here in GHANA.

The money is presently waiting to be remitted by our offshore funds
managers to any named beneficiary submitted by us to them as the
owner of the payment. However, by virtue of our positions as
civil servants in our country,we cannot acquire this money
in our names.

As senior officers,we are not allowed by the civil service code of
conduct,to own or operate bank accounts outside of our shores.On the
other hand,it is not safe for us to keep the money here due to our
bad ecomony.

I have been delegated as a matter of trust by my colleagues, to look
for an overseas silent partner, in whose account we would transfer
the sum of Eighteen Million,Five Hundred Thousand U.S.
for mutual benefit, hence the reason for this e-mail.

What I am requesting from you is: (1) To be our silent partner and
receive the money in your account in trust. (2) Provide a receiving
bank account under your control, to which the funds will be remitted.
(3) Receive the funds in your account, take your commission and keep
the rest until I arrive there to meet you after the transaction is
completed.

Our proposal is that after you receive the funds,it would be shared
as follows:(1)25% to you as commission, while the remaining 75%
belong to us.

You will be free to take out your commission immediately the money
hit your account. Since our objective is to invest the money in a
foreign country,it would be ideal to let you manage this for us in
your country.

However this is optional, and should it not be convenient
for you,we can terminate our cooperation after you hand over our
share of the money.

This transaction though discreet, is legitimate and the money will be
transferred to your account with all necessary backup documents
showing legitimate source/origin. The transfer will be effected to
your account within seven working days of your furnishing us with a
suitable receiving bank account informationand our reaching an
agreement.

I plead with you on one issue, whether or not you are interested,
please do not expose this information to a third party. I confirm
that the transaction is legitimate and without any risks either of us.

Please give me your return email to confirm your interest while
keeping everything confidential.

Yours faithfully,

Mr kwame Koffour.

_________________________________________________________________
The next generation of Search—say hello!
http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/searchlaunch/?locale=en-us&FORM=WLMTAG


Anti-fraud resources:

 

 

jwSpamSpy
Are you sick of spam too? Do you want it stopped now?
Try jwSpamSpy, the spamfilter we use to track the spammers!
Free 30-day trial version available now!