fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
Fraud email example:
From: paul imoh <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:36:01 +0100
Subject: READ AND GET BACK TO ME
From the Desk of:Mr.Paul Imoh,GM, Accounts-Banking Division (South)Standard Trust Bank Plc, Nigeria. Dear Friend, My name is Mr.Paul Imoh,General Manager, Corporate and Investment Banking division(South) with Standard Trust Bank Plc, Nigeria plc,Lagos-Nigeria.I came to know about you in my private search for a reliable person/company to handle a confidential transaction on behalf of myself. As a matter of fact,I got your information from the international affairs commission. l write in respect of a foreign customer with our Bank,who unfortunately lost his life in the plane crash of Alaska Airlines Flight 261 which crashed on 31 January, 2000, including his wife. Since the death of this our customer , I have kept a close monitoring of the deposit records and accounts since then.Nobody has come forward to claim the money in his A/C as next of kin to the late customer. The total amount in the account is US$27 million and it is a domiciliary escrow bank account. Also the funds can only be released to a foreigner. As it stands now, there is nobody in the position to produce the needed information other than my very self-considering my position in the bank. Based on the fact that all the family perished in the same flight accident, leaving no one to put claim of the deposit as the next of kin,so I am seeking for your co-operation to present you as the next of kin,and arrange for the release of the funds to your honour for our mutual benefit.I want to forward the following information. 1. Your Full Name2. Residence Address3. Telephone/Fax Number4. Occupation5. Nationality I am willing to share this money with you in the ratio of 60-40%.You shall have 40% of the funds and I shall have the rest (60%) I hope this is a fair sharing?I look forward to hearing from you urgently so that we can proceed accordingly.I wait for your urgent response. Thanks and best Regards.Mr.Paul Imoh
News, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Get it now!