fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: mail info <>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:07:38 +0100

Dear ,Friend I have an urgent and very confidential business proposition for you. On December 6th, 2002, an Atlanta physician, Mr. George Brumley Jr made a numbered time (fixed) deposit for twelve calendar months valued at $7,500,000.00(Seven Million Five hundred thousand US dollars) at my branch in spain. Upon maturity, we sent a routine notification to his forwarding address but got no reply. After a month, we sent a reminder. Eventually, we discovered from his contract employer that Mr. George had died. Further investigations conducted by me indicated that he neither left a WILL nor a contactable next of kin or a relation in his entire official document, including his bank deposit information with us. You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website: [] This amount is still available in my branch, and rolls over with interest every year. Nobody has and will ever come forward to claim this money. According to our Country’s Law, at the expiration of 5 (five) years, this money will be reverted to the Ownership of the Government, which in turn will end up in the hands of some very corrupt and unscrupulous Government Officials. Consequently, as manager of bills and exchange at the foreign remittance Department EUROPEAN CREDIT UNION, my proposal is that, I will like you to stand in as his next of kin, so that this old man’s fruit of labor does not get into the hands of uncaring Government Officials. There are legions of less privileged people all over the world for whom a meal is like paradise. I feel that other than allowing this money to disappear, it will be more useful and beneficial to give it out to charitable Organizations. I need your assistance to stand in as his next of kin and claim this money. The process is simple. According to my enquiries from attorneys, all that is required to claim this money is a letter of ADMINISTRATION from the probate registry of the Federal High Court. An attorney will apply with your name as the next of kin. A letter of administration will be issued within Five (5) working days. This letter will enable the attorney apply to claim this money on your behalf, which would then be transferred to you into a foreign account which you will provide. I wish to point out that I want 20% of this money to be shared among the charity Organizations, while the remaining 80% is shared equally between us. This proposition is entirely 100% risk free. A good attorney would provide expert services while I will use my position in the bank to guarantee the successful execution of this transaction.
If you are interested, please get back to me via this security email [] and you can also call me on my private line (ANY TIME) on +34-645-318-761. I will also need your private telephone and fax numbers — for confidentiality and easy communication, so please do not fail to include them in your return message.Please observe utmost confidentiality, and be rest assured that this transaction would be profitable for both of us. I will also require your assistance towards investing my share in your Country. I look forward to your anticipated cooperation. Sincerely,
Mr. Age Hermansen

Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 3 Monate
kostenlos testen. ** []

Anti-fraud resources: