fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
Fraud email example:
From: (sent from abused email account)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:54:47 +0000
Subject: AWAITING YOUR RESPONSE
My name is Mr Phillip Dennis(ESQ) from 47 Vinters Avenue,Stevenageherts,United Kingdom.I am an investment attorney to late Mr John Shumedja who died in plane crash on 4th January 2002.You can view this CNN site for more details :
As regards to his assets,he has the sum of $37,000,000 USD (Thirty Seven Million United States Dollar) which he deposited in Intercontinental Bank Plc in Africa.Since his demise,his bank account has been dormant,his bank issued me a notification letter as his investment attorney to contact any of his relative to claim/inherit his money as his beneficiary.All my perpetual efforts to contact any of his relative through the embassy and the media has proved abortive.
I contacted you because its only a foreigner that has the legal rights to claim a foreign account,I seek your full consent for the funds to be transferred to your bank account.After the successful wire transfer,you will take 30% while the remaining 70% is for me.Be rest assured that this claim is legal and within the confines of international laws of claims/inheritance.All the necessary documents to backup the claim and prove the source of the wealth are with me.If you are willing to conclude this transaction with me,send me your contact telephone number for easy and effective communication.I await your prompt positive response.
Mr Phillip Dennis(ESQ)