fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "% of every payment" (Beware of any scheme that involves depositing checks or money orders or receiving wire transfers in your bank account and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere, for a percentage of 5-15% of the total. Such offers are *always* fraudulent and you will be liable for the entire amount when the checks, money orders or wire transfers turn out to be fraudulent. Any money already forwarded comes out of *your* pocket then. )
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "money orders " (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- "cashiers check" (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- This email message is a company representative scam. This type of job offer scam involves the cashing of fake checks and money orders. It could expose you to losses of tens of thousands of dollars as well as to the risk of criminal prosecution and (in some cases) imprisonment.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447024024922 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Thomas Pierce" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 03:08:00 +0100
Subject: WORK PART TIME / FULL TIME
We at wintershall oil and gas are in need employees who are committed to the ideal of entrepreneurship and ready and willing to take the future into their own hands." These words could hardly be a more succinctand trenchant summary of the qualities Wintershall is out to promote in its own ranks. for more info email firstname.lastname@example.org
WINTERSHALL OIL AND GAS .
Web site: www.wintershall.de
WORK PART TIME / FULL TIME COMPANY PROFILE:
Wintershall specializes in energy and is a wholly owned subsidiary of BASF SE, based in Ludwigshafen.
Wintershall is active in various regions of the world in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
In Europe the BASF subsidiary trades and sells natural gas. The company markets storage capacities for oil and gas,transportation capacities for gas as well as optic fiber capacities. Wintershall has been active in the exploration and production of oil and gas for more than 75 years.
The company has its headquarters in Kassel and is now Germany's largest producer of crude oil and natural gas.
In its exploration and production activities, Wintershall is deliberately focusing on selected core regions where the company possesses a wealth of regional and technological expertise. These regions include Europe, North Africa, South America as well as Russia and the Caspian Sea region.
More than 60 percent of the total natural gas and crude oil produced by Wintershall comes from deposits where Wintershall itself is the operating company
JOB DESCRIPTION: The company is actively pursuing a policy of ongoing investment in the development of new deposits and the expansion of existing fields. While doing so, Wintershall attaches the same importance to the stringent environmental protection and work safety requirements as it does to its economic targets. We need employees who are committed to the ideal of entrepreneurship and ready and willing to take the future into their own hands." These words could hardly be a more succinctand trenchant summary of the qualities Wintershall is out to promote in its own ranks.
http://www.wintershall.com/69.html?&L=0 This project has been developed in a way not to affect your present job nor bring you any form of stress but in order to help take care of those extra costs it came to my knowledge that there are a lot of lapses in handling funds that come in from the states which come in forms of cashiers checks, company checks and money orders and are not readily cash able outside the United States and some sent mails that do not delivered due to lapses in courier services, So we need someone in the States to work as our representative and assist us in processing the payments from our various clients which come in on a weekly, monthly and annual basis. This is why we decided to get a representative over in the states to help us pick up our payments at your contact address you shall be providing us, in order to process our payment from our clients. We are giving you the opportunity to make a lot of money and experience training into different fields and works of life, you are to deduc
For Every Payment Processed, you are entitled to 10% minimum and this tend to upgrade with time and other benefits and entitle packages grows along.
You will be working directly with the finance department of this company and your sole job will be to process and cash payment for the company ,you will be entitled to every 10% of every payment cashed.
Our payments will be issued out in your name as we would inform our Clients to do.
You will be required to notify us at least 14 days early, if eventually you want to discontinue working with us, so as to terminate all payments that have been approved to be sent to you, in order to avoid any conflicts.
BENEFIT IS AS FOLLOWS:-
* The average monthly income is about $4000....
* High Income Potential
* 4 Commission Checks per Month
* No form of investments from you....
* This job takes only 1-3 hours per day....
* You do not pay any form of taxes....
* Club membership at KLM Airline...
* Profits that are Practically Guaranteed!
REQUIREMENTS: * Full Name:
* Residential Address (In Full, Not P.O.BOX):
* Zip Code:
* Contact Phone number(s):
* Bank Name (Only):
Wintershall and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Wintershall.
Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorized Wintershall AG Holdings representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. To help us achieve our demanding growth target, we seek new personnel to join our dynamic organization. Successful candidates will share our enthusiasm and be willing to embrace the many challenges within this stimulating environment.
If you are interested in applying for the job then you can contact us via email (email@example.com) with the requirements to start receiving payments from our customers and start cashing right away.
Dr. Thomas Pierce
Director of Wintershall
Wintershall Holding AG
34119 Kassel, Germany
Phone:+44 702 402 4922
Fax: +44 561 301-1702