fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447024071053 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Helen Robinson" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:55:27 -0400
Subject: Information on your Outstanding Payment
Mrs. Helen Robinson
606 The Chandlery, 50 Westminster Bridge Road,
London SE1 7QY
I am Mrs. Helen Robinson the foreign verification and payment sectary to British Government and the Chairman House committee Payment and verification on foreign contractors and Foreign Affairs office of the British Prime Minister.
He told me to Contact all the Foreigners that waiting for their Payment, regards to series of petition we receiving from unpaid (Foreign Contractors, Inheritance next of kin and Uk National lotto beneficiaries that was originated from America, Europe, Asia, and Middle East on how especially Africa government usually don't pay them their contract funds, And other Debts owned them by the Government based on the British/African Government made through investigation to ascertain the cause and find out that there are some officials that cooperate with outsiders to extort money from foreigners.
So the United Nations then held a meeting and made a resolution that all foreigners contractors and those that are waiting their Bank draft payment and ATM Payment to be paid by Cash through Online Banking system which is the fastest and reliable way of receiving payment, in other to beat those fraudsters in Africa that export money from Foreigners without releasing their Fund to them.
Be informed that all the Bank Drafts, ATM, and other Fund that was on hold by Customs, Drug Law Enforcement Agency, and others asking for one charges and another from Africa, Europe, America has re-called back, converted to Cash payment system and channeled to HALIFAX BANK LONDON, to pay through their secure and most trusted online banking system.
You should then stop any further communication regards to your fund with any office in Africa, United Kingdom, America or Europe.
You have to Contact the right payment release Chairman House committee Payment and verification on foreign contractors and Foreign Affairs office soon as you received this mail with your current full contact information(1 Your Full Name....(2) Your Contact Address....(3) Your Phone and Fax Number...(4)Sex...(5) Your Age...(6)Country Of Origin...) to enable him process your fund for Directly Online Bank to Bank transfer to your designated bank account.
His contact Address
His Name; Mr Donald Kalani Smith
You can also inform us if any of your relations/friends living or dead has not been paid, because you have the right to claim his/her payment on it's behalf. Your application will be attended to within the next 24hours and payment will be done by this office within two weeks.
Waiting for your request!
Mrs. Helen Robinson
Head Reconciliation Department.