fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +6285719854555 (Indonesia, probably a mobile phone)
Fraud email example:
From: "Fedinald Roddy" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 06:42:51 +0100
Subject: I need your assistant
I am aware that this is certainly an unconventional approach to starting a relationship but I believe knowing each other starts from a step of which I believe I am not making a mistake exposing this very important business deal to you?
Firstly, let me identify myself without any intention of equivocation, I Mr. Fedinald Roddy 49years old, Financial Expert worked here in Indonesia top bank , I will be happy if we can do business together in good faith and this proposal will be of mutual benefit for us. I have a transaction deal in the tune of $15,000,000.00 (Fifteen million united state American dollars} to be transferred to any possible safe account with your good assistance. I have every possibility & advantages for the proceeds of this account to be paid to you and then both of us can share equal percentage meaning 60% for me and 40% to you. Can I trust you on this subject matter?
I had discussed this issue privately with the Bank Director and he agreed to help and have instructed me to look for a foreigner who can be trusted and capable to handle this transaction so that we can secretly move this money out from Indonesia immediately basing on Investments plans in your Country. I guarantee that this will be executed under a concrete special arrangement that will protect us from any breach of law. I will not fail to bring to your notice that this transaction is hitch-free and you should not entertain any fears as the required arrangements have been made for the completion of this operation.
This money was secretly deposited and placed for an Investment before the late holder Mr.Rafic Hariri,Born in Lebanon in 1944,the late Rafic Hariri was a Lebanese self-made billionaire and business tycoon, and was five times prime minister of Lebanon . You can view this site for confirmation.
He died and none of his families or relatives knows about this money, I came across this great fortune during an annual pre-audition. If you can be trusted and capable to handle this business with me in full confidence & trust, please send me the following information for documentation preparation and also give me your word of confidence that we will work as one team and I will get in return what belongs to me after successful transmission this operation:
(1). Full names:
(2). Private phone numbers:
(3). Current residential address:
(5). Age and Sex:
More Information about yourself ETC.
I look forward hearing from you.
Call me. +6285719854555