fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr DONOTIMU .M. GALOPO"<firstname.lastname@example.org> (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:43:13 +0100
Subject: WE OFFER FUNDING OF PROJECTS
WE OFFER FUNDING OF PROJECTS
We have the honour to solicit your high great Importance in working with your Personality. Indeed, I am Mr DONOTIMU .M. GALOPO a Former Director General having 60% shareholder with Group ASSOCIATION OF FUNDING , I resiged from the association to enable me offer funding to others clients due to many irregularity seen by my self, I decided to meet and finance different Individual or Company that needs financing assistance to their projects, private Business and we also offer PRIVATE loans ,
FINANCING OF PROJECTS AS PARTNERSHIP ( JOINT VENTURE )
We are seeking for Individual or Private Company, Mini and Major Projects Owners Etc needing financing assistance for carrying out their project as (PARTNERSHIP AS JOINT VENTURE because we dispose CAPITAL to finance any profitable Projects,investment or personal company, the benefit realize from the above projects every year within the period of 5 to 10 years will be sheared between you as the project owner and we as financer , that is (WE AS FINANCIER WILL HAVE 20% OF THE BENEFIT REALIZE from the above project & the rest of 80% benefit realize from the above projects will be yours as the project owner, remember you don't have to spend any money of yours on this transaction but you need to visit us here for the signing of the above contract documents in the high court of justice in present of my lawyer and this will permit us to transfer the above fonds needed for your projects to your account.
( PERSONAL LOANS )
We also offer personal loans to Individual or Companies Owner as well and the interest rates 5%, secondly is negotiable for a period of 5 to 10 years or more if needs . this process will be notified in the Contract Agreements that will be indeed sign to enable us conclude this transaction, after that, the said amount requested for your project will be transfer to your account .NB: YOU CAN AS WELL CALL US ON TEL: 00229 96 95 97 99 also send email on : email@example.com , don't forget to INCLUDE YOUR PRIVATE TELEPHONE ALSO PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESS.
We will be looking forwards for your reply, FOR MORE INFORMATION , FEEL FREE TO CONTACT OUR LAWYER IN FRANCE : Barrister LATOUNDJI Adébayo Yacoub , FRANCE OFFICE TELEPHONE : 0033970449036 / FAX 0033179734937 AND HIS CONTACT EMAIL IS Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your cooperation.
Mr DONOTIMU .M. GALOPO
Former Director General
Group of Association Funding West Africa
TEL. 00229 96 95 97 99
Email : email@example.com