fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. MAXWELL BROOKS"<email@example.com> (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 06:30:52 +0800
Subject: FROM: Charterd Finance & Securities
FROM: Charterd Finance & Securities
SCAM VICTIMS COMPENSATIONS PAYMENTS.
SCAMMED VICTIM/ $500,000 BENEFICIARIES.
REF/PAYMENTS CODE: CF&sc/02354 $500,000 USD. This is to bring to your notice
that we are delegated from the UNITED NATIONS in Central Bank in conjuction with
the WORLD BANK GROUP OF THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA to pay you victims of scam
$500,000 USD (Five Hundred Thousand Dollars). You are listed and approved for
this payment as one of the
scammed victims to be paid this amount, get back to this office as soon as
possible for the immediate payments of your $500,000 USD compensations funds.
Send a copy of your response to official email:
NAME: ROLAND PAUL.
SCAMMED VICTIM/REF/PAYMENTS CODE:
CF&sc/02354 $500,000 USD. You are advise to foward your contact details to me
immediately to enable us proceed and pay your compensation fund to you,such as
your name,address,phone numbers,and country of origin.
Mr. MAXWELL BROOKS