fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "RESUME DEPARTMENT"<firstname.lastname@example.org> (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:59:05 +0800
Subject: Urgent Reply Needed
CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE COMPLEX
KM33.8 WESTBOUND SHAH ALAM
47600 SUBANG JAYA,KUALA LUMPUR.MALAYSIA
ATTN: PROSPECTIVE STAFF,
Recruiting department GULF OIL & GAS has an immediate employment opportunities, and intends to invite experienced individuals/expatriates or Consultancy firm capable of rendering expertise services in various fields of Engineering, Construction and Installation, NDT , Geology, Project Management, Welding and Fabrication, Plant/Start-Up, Maintenance, Mechanical/Technical/Design Engineering, Information Technology, Administrative, Doctors, Lawyers, Accountant and Commissioning.
ENTITLEMENT, BENEFITS AND PACKAGES;
A very attractive net salary paid in Pounds Sterling or Euros equivalent depending on employee home country and currency preference with annual salary review. Excellent educational assistance benefits with family status employment. . Paid airfares allowing full flexibility with holiday travel. . Personal effects shipment and excess baggage allowances etc JOB STATUS: Full-Time and contract
Salary level depends on experience and field of specialization. Interested candidates are to email resume and details of experience to:email@example.com
Please scan your CV and attach to this mail.
THANKS AND REGARDS,
ABUBAKAR ABDUL FATAH
VISIT US AT WWW.GULFOILANDGAS.COM
EMAIL : GULFOILANDGAS.R@SIFY.COM