fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "UNITED NATIONS SECURITY COUNCIL" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 03:05:20 +0100
Subject: FROM:THE OFFICE OF BAN-KI MOON UNITED NATIONS
ATTENTION: SCAM VICTIMS
Regarding the recent meeting between the United Nations and the World Bank towards restoring the world economy and make the world a better place for all. Our recent investigation proves that the high rate of poverty and suffering our people suffer is as a result of fraud. 75% of masses that lives in poverty and suffering are scam victims which have rendered many homeless. The United Nation in agreement with the World Bank has selected certain individuals from different parts of the world to benefit from this program.
Each of the beneficiaries has being approved to receive a total sum of (((US$ 800,000.EIGHT HUNDREND THOUSAND DOLLARS))) this includes unpaid foreign contractors and those with unfinished transactions that failed due to change of government or international policies. This program will serve as a restoration to the poor masses and also help in boosting the world economy which is the sole aim. Your name is among the lucky beneficiaries of this honorable program, therefore youre advised to contact MR.MIKE DENNY JONATHAN, A United Nations personnel from Switzerland. He has being assigned to ensure that all the beneficiaries receive their inheritance.
MR.MIKE DENNY JONATHAN is presently in the WEST AFRICA where he coordinates and monitor the program to ensure that the objectives of these program is actualized. Youre advised to contact him immediately with the contact informations below and ensure that a copy of this mail is attached to the mail your sending him, with your full name and address.
CONTACT: MR. MIKE DENNY JONATHAN FOR YOUR INHERITANCE.
PERSON TO CONTACT:MIKE DENNY JONATHAN
YOU ARE ADVISED TO FURNISH HIM WITH THIS BELOW INFORMATION:
1. YOUR FULL NAME:
2. SHIPPING ADDRESS:
3. TELEPHONE NUMBER (CELL PHONE IF ANY)
Please due notify us immediately you claim your inheritance for record purposes.
For further inquiries kindly visit our website. http://www.un.org/,
WE THE PEOPLES...A STRONGER UN FOR A BETTER WORLD
YOURS IN SERVICE
((UN SECURITY COUNCIL))