fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447045712414 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- +447006040216 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Yazdan Keivany" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:23:30 +0100
Subject: 100% GUARANTEE LOAN OFFER !!
Scottish International Financial Centre
24 Melville Street
Edinburgh EH3 7NS
From the desk of The C.E.O,
Dear Sir /Madam
Do you need 100% Finance?? Contact Sir. Owen Kelly (chief Executive) Scottish Financial Center a financial lender and consultant, CEO Of PRIVATE HOME LOANS,
For Debt Consolidation Loans, Business Loans, Private loans, Home Refinancing Loans. The Offer
Ranges from $5,000.00 Min. To $150,000,000.00 Max. at 3% interest per annual .Get the best for your family and own a dream home as well with our General Loan scheme.
We also invest in the following sectors: Real Estate, Communication, Auto Mobile and Farming.
With our years of wonderful experience in Integrated Services and Logistics, we seek to expand our business by incorporating individuals and small scale industries as partners in Asia, USA, Europe
and in any other parts of the world.
By this mail we invite you to partner with us in the above mentioned sectors and in every
other sector you deem lucrative in your area.More so, we are ready to facilitate and fund any business that is capable of generating good annual return on investment and loan financing can also be considered .
For more information, please do contact our Chief Executive, Scottish Financial Centre with the following contact details below:
Scottish Financial Centre
Tel: +44 704 57 12414
Note Bear mind that it will take less than 48 Hours to process your file
and the possibility of you getting a Loan from this firm is 100%
Guaranteed no matter your Credit Score.
We are also in the business of "Foreign Currency Exchange, Private Placement Programs and Bank Financial instruments".
Have a nice day.