fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "huge deposit" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: 10 Apr 2010 13:02:20 -0000
Subject: email@example.com invites you to try FunForMobile
firstname.lastname@example.org has been enjoying FunForMobile and is inviting you to try it out.
Wasalaam to you(GREETINGS IN THE NAME OF GOD),and how are you doing?.IN THE
NAME OF ALLAH THE BENEFICENT;THE MERCIFUL THE MASTER OF THE DAY AND JUDGMENTS.I
GREET YOU IN THE NAME OF ALLAH THE BENEFICENT THE MERCIFUL TO WHOM ALL THE
PRAISE(HQ;31:26;17:111)AND THE MOST BEAUTIFUL NAMES(HQ:7:180;17:110;20:8;59: 24) BELONGS..
I am HAJIA AMSHAW YUSUF from Libya. I am married to Late Mallam AHMED YUSUF
of blessed memory was an oil explorer in Libya and Kuwait for twelve
years before he died in the year 2000. We were married for twelve years without
a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. Before
his death we were both devoted Muslims. Since his death I too have been
battling with both Cancer and fibroid problems. When my late Husband was alive
he made a huge deposit in millions of US dollars with a Deposit Company in
oversea. (I will tell you the amount as we proceed). Recently, my doctor told
me that I have only six months to live due to cancer problem. Though what
disturbs me most is my stroke sickness. Having known my condition I decided to
donate this fund to either a Muslem organization or devoted Muslim individual
that will utilize this money the way I am going to instructs herein. I want
this Muslim organization or individual to use this money in all sincerity to
fund mosques, orphanages, widows, and also propagating the word of ALLAH and to
ensure that the society upholds the views and belief of the Holy Quran. The
Holy Quran emphasizes so much on ALLAH'S benevolence and this has encourage me
to take the bold step. I took this decision because I don't have any child that
will inherit this money and my husband relatives are into some radical
organisations and I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an
Hence the reasons for this bold decision. I know that after death I will be
with ALLAH the most beneficent and the most merciful. I don't need any
telephone communication in this regard because of my health,because of the
presence of my husband's relatives around me always. I don't want them to know
about this development. With ALLAH all things are possible. As soon as I
receive your reply I shall give you the contact information of the Deposit
Company in oversea where the money was deposited. I will also issue a letter of
authority to the Deposit Company authorizing them that the said fund Have being
willed to you and a copy of such authorization will be forwarded to you. I want
you and the Muslim community where you reside to always pray for me.My
happiness is that I lived a true devoted Muslims worthy of emulation. Whoever
that wants to serve ALLAH must serve him in truth and in fairness. I will not
stipulate any precise amount to reward you as it will have to be on pre-
negotiated terms,based on your level of involvement.
Please always be prayerful all through your life. Any delay in your reply will
give room in sourcing for a Muslim organization or a devoted Muslim for this
same purpose. Until I hear from you my dreams will rest squarely on your
shoulders.Please reply me on this (email@example.com)
May the Almighty ALLAH continue to guide and protect you.
Hajia AMSHAW YUSUF
Click Here to try it out:
What is FunForMobile?
FunForMobile is a mobile community that lets you connect with your friends with a mobile phone or PC.
* Create a FunBlog for both mobile phone and PC.
* Upload & Share mobile tones, pictures, videos.
* Exchange SMS, Multimedia Messages, PMs with your friends.
* Watch Stream Videos on your mobile phone.
* Download musical tones, pictures, animations, video ringers to your mobile phone
* It is FREE!
Who Uses FunForMobile?
FunForMobile is for everyone who enjoys having fun on mobile phone and shares that fun with friends
What Do I Do?
1. Click the Link In This E-mail
2. Create Your FunBlog.
3. Invite Your Friends to Join!
4. Start Communicating with Your Friends.
5. Visit FunForMobile.com on your phone and have some fun right away!
Click Here to Learn More: