fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "may come to you as a surprise" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Sam Peter" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:28:03 +0200
Subject: I need your co-oparation Dear Friend!
I need your co-oparation Dear Friend!
How are you today? May the Reaming days of this year bring joy,peace,happiness and prosperity to you and your family. I know that this letter may come to you as a surprise, but you need not to worry as I use this way to contact you it is due to is only means I can reach you confidentially as a foreign to seek for your assistance in this matter, My name is Dr.George Brumley Jr. I am the manager audit and account department of our bank, African Development Bank, Ouagadougou Burkina faso(ADB). Ouagadougou Burkina Faso infect I kindly made up my mind to contact you to use your account to transfer the sum of (Fifteen Million US Dollars only) ($15,000,000.00 US DOLLARS) into your bank account and this fund was abandoned and left unclaimed with our bank for a long time and once the fund get transferred into your account, you will take 40% while I will take 60% of the total money.
If you are interested in this transaction, you have to reply this mail immediately with your full information so that I will let you know the next step to follow immediately in order to finalize this transaction in a period of time.
I am expecting your reply soonest with your personal information as follow
(1) Your Full Name:.................
(2) Your Full Address:..............
(3) Your Phone Number:..............
(4) Your Occupation:................
(5) Your Age:.......................
(6) Your Nationality:...............