fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a "dying merchant" scam.
Fraud email example:
From: JOSEPH JARVI <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 16:34:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Dearest in Christ,
Dearest in Christ,
Good day and God bless you. I feel quite safe and satisfy dealing with you in this charity project. Though, I choose to reach you through this media means because it still remains the fastest,surest and most secured medium of communication.However, this correspondence is purely private, and it should be treated as such,i apologize if the content here under are contrary to your moral ethics,but i had to reach you through this medium As you read this, I don't want you to feel sorry for me,because, I know everyone will die someday.
My name is joseph jarvi a machant in dubai(U.A.E).I have been diagnosed with Esophageal cancer. It has defiled all forms of medical treatment, and right now I have only about a few months to live,according to medical experts.I have not particularly lived my life so well, as I never really cared for anyone (not even myself) but my business.Though I am very rich, I was never Generous, I was always hostile to people and only focused on my business as that was the only thing I cared for.But now I regret all this,as I now know that there is more to life than just wanting to have or make all the money in the world.
I have decided to give alms to charity organizations,as I want this one of the last good deeds I do on earth.So far, I have distributed money to some charity organizations in the U.A.E, Algeria and Malaysia. Now that my health has deteriorated so badly, I cannot do this myself anymore. I once asked members of my family to close all my accounts and sell off all my properties and distribute the money to charity organizations and keep only a certain % to themselves but they refused and with aid of my lawyer they kept the money to them selves.Hence, I do not trust them anymore, as they seem not to be contended with what I have left for them.
The last of my money which no one knows of is the huge cash deposit of ten million dollars $10,000,000(Ten million US dollars) that I have with a finance/Security Company abroad. as soon as you assure me that you are trust worthy i will give you the contact of my attoney and direction on how to collect this funds but i dont want you to be greeedy over this, please make sure you help the poor when the funds gets to you.
I shall await your response.
Thanks and God bless