fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Miss Rose Sanganwa <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 09:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Investment proposal
Dear respected one;
It is my pleasure to write you informing you of my great desire to enter into financial business transaction with you. I am Miss Rose Sanganwa resident in Ivory Coast .
Due to my age and ignorant of the business world I decided to contact you after much consideration and prayers, though my proposal to you however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honour against your will, though a lot of nonsense are going on in the internet now, but still we have genuine transactions been carried out and conclude in the same media, so donât see me from the ugly side, I am genuine and real and inherited huge amount from my late father who was untimely poisoned during one of their trip abroad, suspected to be his business associates.
Sorry to tell you my mother died when I was a baby and since then my father took me so special. Before the death of my father early 2009 in a private hospital here he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the sum of Four Million, five hundred thousand United State Dollars. USD ($4,500,000.00) left in fixed / suspense account in one of the prime bank here in Abidjan republic of Ivory Coast where I am residing at present, that he used my name as his only daughter for the next of Kin in depositing of the fund.
He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business associates. That I should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where I will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose such as real estate management or hotel management. Please I am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways because there is a lot of pressure from my late fatherâs relative over his wealth and properties which prompted me to run away from with this document relating to this deposit:
(1) To provide an empty bank account into which this money would be transferred into.
(2) To serve as a guardian of this fund since I am still ignorant of any investment.
(3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a resident permit in your country.
Moreover, I am willing to offer you a handfull percentage of the total sum as compensation for your effort/ input after the successful transfer of this fund into your nominated account.
Furthermore, If you are interested send me along side Your full names:Your country of origin and resident: Your occupation: Your telephone and fax numbers: Your address and a copy of your ID card for my record and for the bank use. I believe that this transaction would be concluded within fourteen (14) days you signified you interest to assist me. Anticipating hearing from you soon.
Thanks and God bless.
Miss Rose Sanganwa.