fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- to present your identification by scan and send to firstname.lastname@example.org you must ready to chat with your at (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr.Lloyd Robertson" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 07:46:33 -0400
Subject: JOB OFFER.
ALPHA STORE OUTLETS.
ALPHA BUSINESS MALL
ALPHA STORE need an International Representative who would
like to work from home. If you are interested in this Offer then Come and
join thousands of our Company workers SO you can Earn $500 per-month,
payment via western union.
We Export electronics and other home accessories worldwide, we have many
customers outside United States that believe in good quality, our
customers were tired of wasting money on inferior products that dominates
market from Asia and were very interested to buy United States Quality
The job is simply BUY OR RECEIVING our companies items and also repackaging and
sending to various customers in the states and outside the states, in
receiving those packages from stores to your home then we will use our
company's courier shipping service Account to pick up the package from
your home to our client that requested for the product. This will require
little or less of your time, so you could combine it with you current job.
Individuals are randomly selected based on the information provided and
the interview conducted, so please be sincere and give all necessary
details for further success of this position.
THIS EMPLOYMENTS SCHEME IS IN ACCORDANCES WITH UNITED STATE FEDERAL LAWS
Application is Open to Everyone above the age of 18,see below for More
18 years or older legally capable, responsible and ready to work 3-4 hrs
You must have yahoo messenger
Everyday with PC knowledge or E-mail and internet experience (minimal)
You must ready to present your identification by Scan and send to email@example.com
You must ready to chat with your at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are Interested In working with FRAMART ELECTRONICS OUTLETS, provide
your information as required below:
NAME IN FULL:__________________________
We await your prompt respond to these position.
ALPHA STORE ELECTRONICS OUTLETS.
N B. Reply to email@example.com.