fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dearest one," (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "huge amount of money" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: NADESH KOFFI <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:47:24 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: FROM MISS NADESH KOFFI
FROM MISS NADESH KOFFI
ABIDJAN, COTE D IVOIRE.
IT IS MY PLEASURE TO CONTACT YOU FOR A BUSINESS VENTURE WHICH I INTEND TO ESTABLISH IN YOUR COUNTRY, THOUGH I HAVE NOT MET WITH YOU BEFORE BUT I BELIEVE ONE HAS TO RISK, CONFIDING IN SOMEONE TO SUCCEED SOMETIMES IN LIFE.THERE IS THIS HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY, EIGHT MILLION US DOLLARS ($8,000,000,00) WHICH MY LATE FATHER TOUREH KOFFI KEPT IN A SECURITY STORAGE HOUSE HERE IN COTE D?IVOIRE BEFORE HE WAS ASSASSINATED BY HIS BUSISNESS PARTNERS .
NOW I HAVE DECIDED TO INVEST THESE MONEY IN YOUR COUNTRY OR ANYWHERE SAFE ENOUGH FOR SECURITY PURPOSES. I WANT YOU TO HELP ME TO TRANSFER THIS FUND TO YOUR COUNTRY FOR INVESTMENT PURPOSES ON THE FOLOWINGS BELOW:
1) INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
2) FIVE STAR HOTEL OR ANY OTHER PROFITABLE INVESTMENT.
IF YOU CAN BE OF AN ASSISTANCE TO ME, I WILL BE PLEASED TO OFFER TO YOU 15% OF THE TOTAL FUND.
I AWAIT YOUR SOONEST RESPONSE.
THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS.
MISS NADESH KOFFI