fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr Carlos Fernandez" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 19:11:18 +0200
Subject: Attention From Dr Carlos Fernandez.
BRONX AND FINANCE SERVICES
Carlos Fernandez Partner Allen & Overy LLP
One Calle Street spain E1 6AO, Madrid Spain
Education: Sussex University (B.A., Law, 1982)
Tel Phone:00 34 603 168 046 Fax 00 34 917 693 107
Attention From Dr Carlos Fernandez.
I am Dr Carlos Fernandez. An Attorney at law based in Spain, and am a solicitor to Mr Andreas Schranner a German who worked at Mount Resources Ltd, a geologist by profession who died in AF4590 crash since 2000 along side with his entire family (wife Maria,their daughter Andrea Eich, her husband Christian, and their children Katharina 8, and Maximilian 10).
Please log on here to see for your self,
I decided to contact you purely on the personal conviction of trust and confidence to assist in distributing the funds left behind by my client. The deceased had a deposit of Two Million And Eight Hundred Thousand Euros,(EUROS 2.8 Million) which I helped him to open in one of the leading banks here in Spain two years before his death.
Being his attorney here, his Bank has issued me a notice to provide his next of kin or beneficiary, otherwise the account would be CONFISCATED since nobody has come forward to lay claims on the money since his death.
My search for his relative was not successfull and My proposition to you is to seek your consent to present you as a next-of-kin and beneficiary of my Late client,
So that the proceeds of this account could be paid to you and we can share the amount on a mutually agreed-upon percentage.
All legal documents to back up your claim as my client's next-of-kin will be provided, All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us see this transaction through.This transaction will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. If this business proposition offends your moral values or Ethics, do accept my apology.
I must use this opportunity to implore you to exercise the utmost indulgence to keep this matter extraordinary confidential, whatever your decision, while I await your prompt response.
Please contact me at once to indicate your interest on this Email address.( email@example.com )
Dr Carlos Fernandez (Esq).