fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "DAVID I McKAY" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 11:03:02 -0400
Subject: DAVID I McKAY RBC
ROYAL BANK OF CANADA
MR. DAVID MCKAY
Dear Sir / Madam,
I am Mr. DAVID I. McKay, The Personal Financial Services and Business Financial Services
businesses, as well as RBC's Canadian sales and branch distribution. The World Largest Fund
Management Company with over £1.2 Trillion Capital Investment Fund. Nevertheless, as the RBC
Financial Services Officer, I handle all our Investor's Direct Capital Funds and secretly
extracted 1.2% Excess Maximum Return Capital Profit (EMRCP) per annual on each of the
Investor's Marginal Capital Fund.
As an expert, I have made over £5,500,000.00 Million from the Investor's EMRCP and hereby
looking for someone to trust who will stand as an Investor to receive the fund as Annual
Investment Proceeds from RBC Marginal Capital Fund. All confirmable documents to back up
the claims will be made available to you prior to your acceptance.
Meanwhile, I have worked out the modalities and technicalities whereby the funds can be
claimed in any of our 6 Clearing Houses without any hitches. Our sharing ratio will be
50-50%. If you are interested, you should send your direct phone number so we could discuss
more on phone as regard the transaction.
N:B: Do not contact my office number or email, all correspondence must be to this E-mail
email@example.com. This is a serious transaction and I need a trust worthy partner,
you could view my information about me with the link below
Mr. DAVID I. McKAY