fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "power of attorney" (with your bank details and a power of attorney form criminals sometimes empty bank accounts)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Jeff" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:41:39 +0100
Subject: CONTACT IMF OFFICE IMMEDIATELY FOR YOUR FUND
Office of the Registrar IMF Administrative
Tribunal 700 19th Street,
NW, Suite HQ1-3-544. Washington, DC 20431: .
FUND MONETARY SECURITY NETWORK 2011 FUNDS VERIFICATIONS/PAYMENT
A power of attorney was forwarded to our office this morning by two gentle men, one of them is an American national and he is MR DAVID DEANE by name while
the other person is MR. JACK MORGAN by name a CANADIAN national.
This gentlemen claimed to be your representative, and this power of attorney stated that you are died, they brought an account to replace your informations
in other to claim your fund of $2.5 Million Usd as a result of BG lease/ instructment which it is right now lying DORMANT and UNCLAIMED, below is the new
account they have submitted:
QUEZON AVE. DELTA BRANCH
QUEZON CITY, CANADA
ACCOUNT NO. 2984-0008-66
SWIFT CODE. BOPIPHMM
Be further informed that this power of attorney also stated that you suffered and died of a throat cancer. You are therefore given 24hrs to confirm the truth
in this information, If you are still alive, You are to contact us back immediately, Because we work 24 hrs just to ensure that we monitor all the activities
going on in regards to the transfer of beneficiaries inheritance and contract payment. Please you are hereby advice to reconfirm the below information to
this honorable office for confirmation to help us serve you better AND CORRECT YOUR PREVIOUSE DISSAPPOINTMENTS YOU HAVE ENCOUNTERED TOWARDS RECEIVING YOUR
Your Full Name.................
Your Country Address...........
Your Home Address..............
Banking Details.........Bank Acount number, Swift Code, Routing Numbers
Tele Or Cell Phone..............
A Copy Of Your ID...............
You are to call this office immediately or send e-mail for clarifications on this matter as we shall be available 24 hrs to speak with you and give you the
necessary guidelines on how to ensure that your payment is wired to you immediately or Atm Master .
Just also be informed that any further delay from your side could be dangerous, as we would not be held responsible of wrong payment.
Director International Monetary Funds