fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- "national lottery promotion" (no such lottery exists)
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claim agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "keep it confidential" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447010042378 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: " Chevrolet Company Promotion" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 13:39:05 +0530
Subject: EURO MILLIONS INTERNATIONAL LOTTERY PROMOTION
EURO MILLIONS INTERNATIONAL LOTTERY PROMOTION
PRIZE AWARD DEPARTMENT.
REFERENCE: EML / IPP/1555002244/05
BATCH: ES34/044/ ILP /SL
RE: WINNING NOTIFICATION / FINAL NOTICE
Dear Lottery Winner,
We wish to congratulate you over your email success in our computer balloting held on 22nd May 2011.This is a Millennium Scientific Computer Game in which email addresses were used. It is a promotional program aimed at encouraging the effective use of internet; therefore you do not need to buy ticket to enter for it. You have been approving for the star prize of 1000, 000, 00 Euros. (One million Euros Only)
Your =E-mail address attached to Serial Number 22221415366-609 with Lucky Star Numbers 03 44 04, Winning Number 04 05 23 25 28 which =consequently won in the 2nd category, you have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of 1,000,000.00 Euros. (one million Euros Only).
YOUR Email ADDRESS HAS WON
DO KEEP IT CONFIDENTIAL.
This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants.
All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from over 100,000,000, company emails and 50,000,000 individual email addresses and names from all over the world. This lottery was promoted and Sponsored by Sultan of Brunei, Bill Gates of Microsoft Inc, Shell Company With the support of European corporate companies and organizations to encourage the use of Internet and computers worldwide and to eradicate poverty from the world
To claim your winning prize you are to contact the appointed claim agent as soon as possible for the immediate release of your winnings with your VERIFICATION FORM information below:
CONTACT CLAIMS AGENT ON TELEPHONE: .
Claims Agent Tel: +44 -7010042378
Remember, all winning must be claimed not later than TWO WEEKS, after this date all unclaimed funds will be included in the next stake. Please note in order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications please remember to quote your reference Number and Batch Numbers in all correspondence.
Congratulations once more!! ! !! !!!! !!!!!.
REMEMBER, YOU HAVE TO CONTACT YOUR CLAIM AGENT WITH YOUR VERIFICATION FORM BELOW TO ENABLE HIM PROCESS YOUR PRIZE MONEY IMMEDIATELY.
1. FULL NAMES:
5. MARITAL STATUS:
8. TELEPHONE NUMBER:
10. SERIAL NUMBER:
11. WINNING NUMBER:
12. REF NUMBER:
13. BATCH NUMBER:
14. AMOUNT WON:
ANY OTHER NOTIFICATION OF THIS NATURE RECEIVED BY ANY WINNER BEARING ANOTHER TRADE MARK OR CONTACT INFORMATION SHOULD BE IGNORED OR FORWARDED TO YOUR CLAIMS AGENT IMMEDIATELY, THIS WILL ENABLE US PUT A STOP TO ALL THIS ACTIVITIES OF FAKE LOTTERIES, REMEMBER TO QUOTE YOUR REGISTRATION NUMBER 975310
Ms. Caroline Bennett