fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "i will advice you " (this email uses bad English)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Linda Redan" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 03:02:23 -0700
Subject: Your Concern and Contact .........(Mr.George Gomez)
My name is Mrs. Linda Redan; I am a US citizen, 49 years Old. I reside. I live at 31295 Pottawatomie Rd. Wanette: Oklahoma, United States. And I am thinking of moving since I am now wealthy. I am one of those that took part in the Compensation in Nigeria many years ago and they refused to pay me, I had paid over $42,000 while in the US, trying to get my payment all to no avail. So I decided to travel down to Nigeria with all my compensation documents, and I was directed to meet Mr. George Gomez, who is the member of COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE and a Human Rights Activist (Lawyer), and I contacted him and he explained everything to me. He said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake.
He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation payment. Right now I am the happiest woman on earth because I have received my compensation funds of $1.500, 000, USD. Moreover, Barrister George Gomez, showed me the full information of those that have not received their payment, and I saw your name as the beneficiary, and your email address, that why i decided to email you and tell you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, and they are only making money out of you. I will advice you to contact Barrister George Gomez.
You have to contact him directly on this information below.
COMPENSATION AWARD HOUSE
Name: Mr. George Gomez (Barrister)
13/16 Yakubu Gowon, Off Sylvia Crescent, Lagos Island, Lagos State Nigeria,
You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing. The only money I paid after I meet Mr. George Gomez was just $390 for the paper works, take note of that.
Thank you and be blessed
Mrs. Linda Redan
31295 Pottawatomie Rd. Wanette,Oklahoma, USA.
United State of America.