fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "economic and financial crime commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "farida mzamber waziri" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "MRS.FARIDA MZAMBER WAZIRI" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:45:52 -0700
Subject: ATTENTION SCAMMED VICTIMS |||
MRS.FARIDA MZAMBER WAZIRI (AIG RTD.)
ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
FEDERAL SECRETARIAT COMPLEX, GARKI ABUJA.
TRANSFER FRAUD ALERT/ ATTEMPTED DIVERSION OF FUNDS.
TELEPHONE NUMBER: +234-7043092897
Attention: Scammed Victim,
Permit me the pleasure of introducing my self as MRS.FARIDA MZAMBER WAZIRI. I am the Chair-person Heading the Nigeria Economic and Financial Crime Commission. I am writing you in respect to the transfer of funds you have been expecting from
The Federal Government of Nigeria through the Presidency Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has mandated the Nigeria Economic and Financial Crime Commission to compensate all foreigners? Who in one way or the other has been Duped of there hard earn
money through illegal transaction.
The purpose for this is to regain the lost Glory of our Great Country and to show the entire world that this Government
is highly prepared to fight Corruption in every sector of the Nigeria Economy,including the banking, oil and communication sector, in the last 3year's Nigeria has being regarded as one of the most corrupt Country in the world, and it is never a good name to us.
With formation of this Commission ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC) and with the help of the intentional security organization such as the FBI, INTERPOL, BRITISH SCOTLAND YARD, we are bent on Eradicating Corruption, advance fee fraud locally and international to a Zero level.
we have been cross checking all financial transaction in all financial institutions in the country and it has come to our notice that your payment has been withheld for reason yet unknown to us, But be rest assured your Fund is safe and intact and you shall receive it without delay and you need not to go through any form of pain to receive your Fund.
Based on this you are advised to stop all forms of communication with any other offices or organization,as we will not take responsibility for any mistake caused by your inability to hill to our simple instruction.
In the light this, could you please reconfirm the information bellow :
1)YOUR FULL NAME:
2)COUNTRY AND YOUR ADDRESS :
3)YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER:
6)AND SIMPLY WRITE THIS SENTENCE US: I AM A LIVE AM READY TO RECEIVE MY FUND.
As soon as we get this information from, we shall make recommendation to you on how best to receive your Fund.
Do call me MRS.FARIDA MZAMBER WAZIRI on my direct security line +234-7043092897, but whereby i happen to be in a meeting my Chief security officer MR.SAM RAY will pickup the phone and direct it to me.
Please be security conscious at all time.
YOUR CO-OPERATION WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED IN THESE REGARDS.
MRS.FARIDA MZAMBER WAZIRI (AIG RTD.)
FROM: THE CHAIR-PERSON ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION.