fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Bruce P. Evans"<firstname.lastname@example.org> (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 06:21:24 +0100
Subject: RE: URGENT- Alluvial Gold Dust.
I am Bruce Pierre. Evans Jr. from Democratic Republic of Congo DRC. My father late Mr. Desmond Evans former Chairman of Gold & Diamond association in our community elected by the chiefs and the traditional ruler of our community. I need you to help me secure my properties in a Company and have it sold in a reasonable price. My Late father deposited 400KG of Alluvial Gold Dust and 6.5KG of Diamond with a company in Benin Republic. I will furnish you with Assay Report and other full details as soon as I hear from.
Quantity: 400 kilograms
Quality: 22. karat alluvial Au
Origin: Democratic Republic of Congo DRC
Price: Will be discussed
Diamond : 6.5KG
Here you will find my goods pictures and other details: http://devinet.eu/product001/index.html
WHAT I WANT FROM YOU IS :
1) Buy the Gold From Me So that I can invest my Money In the area of Business that I am acquainted with.
2) Get me a Buyer
3) Help me take charge of the export of the gold dust to your country so that I can come over there and source for a good buyer with your support and you will be properly compensated
Once I hear from you positively, I shall give you the contact of the company and my lawyer to deal on the project.
My Very Best Regards
Bruce Pierre. Evans Jr.