fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Barrister Shore Johnson" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 13:54:25 -0600
Subject: Atm Payment notification
How are you today? Its been a while you will agree with me. How is the family and work in general? Mine has been good I give God the glory. I have been able to conclude the transaction with the help of a brother. I wish to thank you for your effort during the course of our interaction even though you didnt have the patience to see it mature I still appreciate your input.
To this end I have decided to show some gratitude. I have left an ATM card worth $USD750, 000.00 that you can use on any ATM machine anywhere. I will like you to contact my secretary, Frank Oghene comply with him so that he will make the ATM card available to you and the secret PIN code. Be aware that only deductions less than $USD5,000:00 daily would be allowed on the card. At the moment, I'm very busy here in China, trying my hands on some investments. Please I will like you to accept this token with good faith as this is from the bottom of my heart.
Contact: Frank Oghene
Dont forget to send Your FULL NAME, TELEPHONE NUMBER,CONTACT ADDRESS for his reference and make arrangement with him on how you want to receive your ATM card.
Thanks and Stay in tune.
Barrister Shore Johnson