fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "will come to you as a surprise" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447010037359 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- +448719740713 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Coca-Cola in Conjunction With Apple Iphone Promotion" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:36:56 +0530
Coca-Cola in Conjunction
With Apple Iphone Promotion.
1Queen Caroline Street,
W6 9HQ/United Kingdom.
It is obvious that this notification will come to you as a surprise, kindly read it carefully; you dont need to obtain ticket to get this prize won. Congratulation your E-mail address was selected from world email database and won you an award of (One Apple iPhone 4G 32GB) and (1,000,000, 00. Pounds) one million Great British Pounds. in our on-going Coca-Cola Foundation, in Conjunction with Apple iphone International promotion, Jackpots online E-mail award 2011 with File Ticket Number: 90760054CCGB. held in United Kingdom.
To facilitate the swift procurement of your award you are to fill out the required information and return it within 24hrs. Our mode of payment is through Certified Demand Draft which we be issue in your favour secured to be deliver to you by our special delegate agent which we also include the delivery of your (Apple phone 4G 32GB)? Second payment option is through online Bank Transfer, Third Option cash delivery, moreover final decision for your award payment we be decided by the payout department upon when this department received your details.
(£1, 000,000 00 Pounds). one million Great British Pounds.
(1Unit) (Apple Iphone 4G 32GB)
Details required to approve your winning price award.
Verification/ Claims Department:
Name: Ben Morrison
Once again Congratulations!
Mr. Nick Johnson.
Online Lotto Brands: A slightly different experience, in which Valid Email are selected in computer Database generated as Email lottery draws.
WE NEED YOUR REMARKS ABOUT COCA COLA DRINK/ APPLE IPHONE PRODUCT: