fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: anita johnson <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:56:41 +0530 (IST)
Subject: Greeting my lovely dear friend,
Greeting my lovely dear friend,
How are you? i hope all is well with you including work there.
i hope you may not know me and might be surprised how i came across your email contact address,it was while surfing the net that i got it in fact,i derived deep interest and stated this couple of my few words of mail and decided to send it to you,
My Name is Miss.Anita,single girl,in search of honest man with good sense of humor and could you please try contact me in the above email( firstname.lastname@example.org ) and to enable me sending my pictures to you for further introduction and for you to know whom i am,i believe we can move from here.
I am waiting for your urgent respond soonest and God bless as you do comply accordingly.
And remember the distance neither nor age color does not matter but love matters allot in life.