fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "economic and financial crimes commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "farida mzamber waziri" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "MRS. FARIDA NZAMBER WAZIRI" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 03:16:57 +0430
Subject: FROM CHIEF MRS. FARIDA NZAMBER WAZIRI(EXECUTIV
Date: Friday , September 10, 2011,
FROM CHIEF MRS. FARIDA NZAMBER WAZIRI(EXECUTIVE CHAIRLADY)
ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIMES COMMISSION
BENIN REPUBLIC INVESTIGATION BUREAU(Email contact) email@example.com
14A OFF TUNDE'S MOTTORS
COTONOU BENIN REPUBLIC.
Motto: No Body is Above the Law.
Attention: .Are You Dead??????,
I Am Chief Mrs. Farida Nzamber Waziri (New Chairlady EFCC) Chairlady From Efcc Investigation Office Cotonou Benin Republic, There Is Presently A Counter Claims On Your Funds By One Mrs. Rose Morgan, Who Is Presently Trying To Make Us Believe That You Are Dead And Even Explained That You Entered Into An Agreement With Him, To Help You In Receiving Your Fund And That Was My Reason Of Calling For Confirmation, So Here Comes The Big Question.
Did You Sign Any Deed Of Assignment In Favor Of (Mrs. Rose Morgan). Thereby Making Her The Current Beneficiary With Her Following Account Details: And you know that your total fund is in amount $1.250 million united state dollars unclaim.
Bank Name : Cimb Bank Malaysia
Bank Address : Api-Api Centre, Lot 4/G3, 88000 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.Bank Customer
Account Number/Name : 10020069859527
Swift Code & Routine Number : Cibbmykl
Type Of Account : Saving Account
We Shall Proceed To Issue All Payments Details To The Said Mrs. Rose Morgan, If We Do Not Hear From You Within The Next Two Working Days From Today Thanks
Call back immediately for prove +229 99 50 28 24
Lovely Greetings and congratulations in advance.God bless.
Mrs Farida Mzamber Waziri
EFCC Executive Chairlady, Chief Mrs. Farida Nzamber Waziri (AIG rtd.)(Email contact) (firstname.lastname@example.org )
A better way to Internet