fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will advice you " (this email uses bad English)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "PAYMASTER GENERAL OF THE FEDERATIONS."<email@example.com> (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 08:32:36 -0700
Subject: OFFICE OF THE PAYMASTER GENERAL OF THE FEDERATIONS
OFFICE OF THE PAYMASTER GENERAL OF THE FEDERATIONS,
OLD FEDERAL SECRETARIAT
No 115 Awolowo Road Lagos Nigeria
RE: IMMEDIATE PRESIDENTIAL PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS/PAYMASTER GENERAL OF THE FEDERATIONS.
Attn: Funds Beneficiary.
This is to inform you that in my capacity as the Paymaster General of the Federations(PMG) that the sum of US$2.5Million(Two Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) has been approved for immediate payment to you with immediate effect by Mr. President Dr, Good luck Jonathan GCFR,we are sorry for the slight delay in the past and reassuring you now that your funds is now ready for immediate payment,please note that we have two modes of payment which you have to choose your preferred choice to receive your funds without delays,please be informed that your transfer will be made through our Consolidated Oil Reserve Accounts with ten(10) major banks around the world and if you are lucky enough to have an account with any of the banks we operate with your transfer then will be more or less a local transfer which will clear within 48hours upon my instructions to the bank to release your funds after Mr.President must have endorse your payment file for final payment approval,choice from!
the two listed modes of payment y
(1) KTT bank Wire Transfer,if you wish to receive your funds through Bank to Bank Wire Transfer into your bank account please advise my office immediately and forward your bank account for the transfer.
(2)You can also receive your funds through ATM MASTER CARD hence your funds will be uploaded in ATM MASTER CARD and send to your address in your country which you have to reconfirm to me as soon as you receive this mail.
(3) Your Payment will also be made through Certified International Bank Draft cashiable over your bank counter immediately it is drawn in your name.
Please make your choice of payment and get back to my office immediately so that by i will quickly process your approved Inheritance/Contract funds and make your Remittance with immediate effect in your name and favor,note that this payment will be revoked after Fourteen working days(14) if we did not hear from you before that date,and also be informed that this payment approval has been gazetted with ref number: FGN/CBN/XX882011,that is your payment code numbers as gazetted by the National Assembly and signed into law by Mr.President Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Sequel to the above be informed that we have concluded that you the funds beneficiary will have to pay the sum of $290 dollars(Two Hundred and Ninety Dollars)which will cover the Payment File Processing and Dispatching of payment file to our correspondence paying bank payment center in your Country to enable them release your funds with immediate effect based on my direct order and instructions as the Paymaster General of the Federations,as soon as i hear from you i will advice you further and as well instruct you on how to send the US$290 Payment File Processing and Dispatchment fees before our paying bank will credit your account in your favour,your details will be forwarded to the bank and they will contact you to effect the transfer based on my instructions only.
Urgently looking forward to hear from you and your call as well for more updates on your payment as approved to enable me give instructions for it to be released to you by our paying bank as the Paymaster General of the Federations.(PMG),
Barrister Festus K.Keyamo.
Paymaster General Of The Federations.