fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Azziz Nadeem <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 09:07:20 +0100
Subject: Dear Sir/Madam Help Me and my Family
My name is Dr.Mrs. Ayesha Mustaf Azziz from Libya and also a reputed
Woman in Libyan government
who deny the evil of Gaddafi the Libya leader whom had coercion
Libyan people to be under his regime
when average people survive with $2 per day.
Libya is the second oil producing country in the entire surface of this
earth but her citizens live in poorest condition according to
Please I need your urgent help as Gaddafi has continued to torment entire
population and kill those who were in his administration that
I write this to see if you could help me to keep this money with you
for my Kids as most of our
house and asset is taking by Gaddafi loyalist, with unending torture
and later kill.
I am not sure if I would live more but in case anything happens to me I would
like you to help me keep USD$6000,000.00 Million which is in our Family account
I write for my Kids since I might not survive this situation
I have a relation who is an army official and a loyalist to
Gaddafi that will help me in the transfer of these money and give
back to my kids when the right time
come. My kids names are A'shadieeyah,Aadila,Amin.
But my husband(Azziz Nadeem) was shut when he announced his
resignation when the second in Gaddafi was down. What you are
to do is take 30% of this money and keep the rest for my Kids in case I
couldn't make it. If you accept to help me please provide information on
where this money were to be send and how you can pick up. All Arrangement
and process to transfer the money is ready.
I know this is unconstitutional asking this favor from you but been a
consider Libyan war/people on this scenario .This is worst tragedy and inhuman
treatment and infringement in peoples life and freedom. If you do consider
helping me email me back because I can't answer a phone call at this
juncture as all calls is monitored by the tyrant.
I will anticipate and appreciate your immediate acceptance to help me.
I will update you in furtherance to get the money out from here;
In the next email I will send you my home address in case if I
couldn't survive this situation.
Reply to me in my confidential and private
email:(email@example.com)Hope to hear from you soon.
Attach is my Passport, my Children Picture and the Bank Transfer slip
and the statement of Account
Dr.Mrs. Ayesha Mustafa Azziz