fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Nora Makki karnga <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 02:47:18 +0800 (SGT)
Subject: Greeting From Nora
Greeting From Nora
My name is Nora Makki Karnga from Republic of Sudan. Presently in Dakar Senegal 24 years of age.
I saw your profile in through messenger directory so i decided to extend my felicitations to you.
Presently i can not really specify what prompted my drive to write but i did have the mind that you could be a nice person. I have the interest to meet people from out side my continent and felicitate. It is my believe that there are nice people out there who can appreciate the values of friendship. Personal I might not be very beautiful physically like most ladies in your country but I think I have the beauty of the mind, which is more valuable to me.
Please write me if you can. I am single and focus. I wouldnât say i am good but will leave that to you to find out with time. As allowing others to access you is a humble act...
Hope to receive a message from you. It will be very much appreciated getting to know you much better and share our experience and good wills about our respective continents.
I will send you my photo in my next reply. I will appreciate as well if you send yours to me in your next mail. With due respect i ask, do tell me some briefs about you. Your love life, what you do appreciate in a woman in general and your dislikes. Lest I forget I am not a white lady rather simply colored and wish you do not mind as I have the concept that we all are the same irrespective of our colors. The inner person to me is most important, friendships to me is a right of all humans and if properly inclined could add to once happiness.
My greetings to all your good and loving family were ever you live. Please do write me back soonest I will appreciate from the dept of my heart. You can also write me through my email address :(email@example.com)