fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- free to contact me on this email ads when replying on(email@example.com
Fraud email example:
From: Eugenia adisa <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 09:51:12 +0000
Subject: intrested in you
*intres**ted in you*
*It was nice to come across your profile,i am Eugenia Adisa by name
looking forward to meeting a caring & serious person for life
experience,i am pretily ok,but have the feelings that a little introduction
of this type will be ok for now,why don't you drop me a mail so that we can
share a direct communication,my real gladness will be reading from you.i
think this is the better way to start a very good relationship from my own
perpspective,what is your opinion?Please feel free to contact me on this
email ads when
I hope to read from you,have a very nice and a wonderful day.