fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Ahmed Rahma" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 12:25:57 +0200
Subject: PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!
I am contacting you with good intent geared towards an interest which I want both of us to participate in and which will be beneficial to us especially financially.
My name is Ahmed Rahma, an investment attorney to the ousted president of Libya, MUAMMAR GADDAFI who was killed in a gun battle in Libya on the 20th of October 2011. I have been handling all his financial activities and business interests here in Spain up to this date.
I have under my management, some amount of money($12,000,000.00 USD) which the late Gaddafi had instructed me to code for re-investment for his grand children in an event he is caught or killed.
Governments in France, Italy, England and Germany seized control of Late Gaddafi $30 billion, but not this one in Spain because it is coded with a foreign surname.
VIEW THE LINK BELOW TO SEE :
I had made preparations for this fund to be re-invested and was preparing a report for him through his special aid who was also killed, before I heard of his death. His death has now changed the entire scenario in the sense that all the procedures has to take a drastic change and which is the reason I am contacting you, because i want you to claim this fund . It is therefore necessary that we work together. Kindly read my proposal below:
1, your involvement shall entail the following:
A, provision of a safe haven for the funds.
B, management of the funds which we shall put directly under your name
or company name and total care
C, preparation of legal back-up documents to support the entire transaction as an inheritance to you.
Furthermore, it is important to keep this transaction confidential due to the recent forfeiture of the late Gaddafis assets and frozen accounts. We are lucky because the money I am talking about is not in his name and will make it much easier for us to handle successfully.I am seeking for your permission to present you to the bank as a relation to the deceased as I am his attorney here in Spain. You can easily make this deal with me since nobody else knows about this deposit except me.
The entire process shall last about 2 weeks or thereabout. Upon your full acceptance, kindly contact me with the below very important information:
1.YOUR TELEPHONE/MOBILE/FAX NUMBER
We shall discuss the remuneration you shall receive for your efforts.
Thank you and Best Regards,
Barrister Ahmed Rahma