fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dearest one," (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: " Miss.Rose Robert." (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 14:24:43 +0100
Subject: I am waiting For Your Reply:From Miss.Rose Robert.
How are you? With due respect and humility I write you this letter which I believe you would be of great assistance to me.
I am Miss.Rose Robert. 21yrs, from Ivoiry Coast by nationality. I write you with my desire to invest in your country. I am the only child of my parents. My late father Mr. Basse Robert, was one of the richest Diamond dealer in my country Ivoiry Coast . But now I am suffering as my parents was assassinated ,because of the war here, in Kimberley province here in Abidjan the capital City by the rebel , on there way back from purchasing Diamonds from the rural.
When my father was alive, he deposited,$5.5Million United States Dollars which he deposited with a finance firm in Nigeria west Africa were I am staying now as a refugee here in Nigeria .Meanwhile, I have speak with the Finance House manager, and have also discussed the possible release of the fund .
But the management of the Finance House told me that my father left a clause that I must reach the age of 28 years or married before I could manage the fund by myself or if I can be able to fine a trusted foreign partner who would stand as my trustee to help me invest this fund hence the need for your assistance.
I request that you be my trustee and assist me in effecting the transfer of the fund to your account or any account you will nominate for investment under your care. And also I will give you 30% percent of the total money for your helping me. I hope my explanation is very clear but if you need further clarification, then send in your questions
Please if you can help me, below are the information? I needed from you to put things into action.
1. Your Full Name .......
2. You?e Age .........
3. Marital Status.....................
4. Your Occupation................
5. Your Home and Office Address...
6. Your Telephone And Fax Number...........
I am waiting for your confirmation of this mail to enable us discuss details, agreed and give you bank contact where the money was deposited. I will disclose more details about this transaction as soon as I received the above mentioned information from you. This is with reason to gaurantee my safety and the safety of the money as well.