fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "international remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "REV DR DAVID CHUKWU" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:01:30 +0100
Subject: DEAR VALUABLE BENEFICIARY
FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC
HEAD OFFICE SAMUEL ASABIA HOUSE
35 MARINA LAGOS NIGERIA
Office Tell: +234-9020330922
NOTIFICATION FOR RELEASE OF $10.5M
This letter is written to you in order to change your life from today. I am Rev.Dr.David Chukwu,the new director, international remittance department of this Bank.My boss Mr Jacob M Ajekigbe, the MD/ CEO of this Bank is now on compulsory leave and all power has been vested on me to make all international payment.Furthermore due to allegations of corrupt practices against other Nigeria Banks, the Federal Government of Nigeria has appointed this Bank to effect all foreign overdue payment.
Be informed that the Federal Government have Approved the release of $10.5M which has been in this Bank for many years UNCLAIMED. My boss in collaboration with the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) have refuse to tell you the truth on how to claim your fund.This is because they have been using the interest accumulated from your fund every year to enrich themselves without your knowledge. I want to help you PULL OUT this fund to your Bank account today using the easiest and quickest method which has not been known to you before. By this method a Domiciliary Account will be opened for you in our Bank.
A domiciliary account is a secure account which we will open for you in our Bank and Credit your payment of $10.5M for further credit into your
account.The essence of this Domiciliary account is to secure and protect your payment from being diverted by fraudulent people or making payment to a foreign account which do not belong to you.The greatest advantage is that you can instruct us to credit your nominated account bit by bit with small amount thereby saving yourself from the trouble of Financial Authority in your country who monitor large transfer due to current trend of terrorism. Another beauty of the domiciliary account is that you can retain the balance left in your account in our Bank and can also instruct us to pay out money to any Bank of your choice in the world, or issue you an ATM Card which you can use in any part of the world when on a business trip.
I hope you now understand the advantages of a Domiciliary account and why you need this account to receive your payment of $10.5M now in our Bank....You are advice to forward as a matter of urgency your full banking coordinate, direct telephone and Fax number and your contact address as we have started the process of the account for you. Call me on +234-8064512178 so that I will issue you a payment release code which must be given to you personally on telephone strictly for security reason. This code is very important and it is what you will use to confirm your payment.
Office Tell: +234-9020330922