fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "headquater" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Debra C Hickman" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 04:29:47 -0500
Subject: YOU NEED TO READ THIS MAIL
I am Mrs. Debra C Hickman I am a Canadian citizen, 52 years Old. I reside here in Beattie Ave, Ottawa. My residential address is as follows. 1861 Beattie Ave, Ottawa, ON K1H 5R7, Canada, I am one of those that took part in the Compensation in Nigeria many years ago and they refused to pay me, I paid close to 150,000 CAD (Canadian Dollars) which is about $110,000 US Dollars while in Canada, trying to get my payment but all to no avail and they always stopped my funds with one reason or the order.
So I decided to travel with my son to FBI HEADQUATERS in WASHINGTON D.C with all my compensation documents to complain, And I was directed by the (F B I) Director to contact Mr. Fred Osborne, who is a representative of the FBI And I contacted him and he explained everything to me He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation payment. Right now I am the most happiest woman on earth because I have received my compensation funds of $15, Million Us Dollars Moreover, Mr. Fred Osborne, showed me the full information of those that are yet to receive their payments and I saw your name as one of the beneficiaries, and your email address, that is why I decided to email you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, they are only making money out of you.
I will advise you to contact Mr. Fred Osborne directly today on the information below to know if he can help you too.
COMPENSATION AWARD HOUSE / FBI CRIMINAL DIVISION
Name: Mr. Fred Osborne (FBI AGENT)
Note: am sending you this email because I donât want you to be fooled anymore and because of the love I have for you and the love I have for all those innocent people been scammed day by day, by various scam artist claiming to be with their fund, You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in any way with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing to eat and send to them anymore.
The only money I paid after I met Mr. Fred Osborne was just 434.96 CAD (Canadian Dollar)(325.00 USD) for the Ownership and Legal Paper Works of my fund, take note of that.
Once again stop contacting those people because they dont know anything about your fund,They are Criminals, Hoodlums who are only interested in your hard earn money so I will advise you to contact Mr. Fred Walters so that he can help you to deliver your fund instead of dealing with those liars that will be turning you around asking for different kind of money to complete your transaction.
God Bless You.
Mrs. Debra C Hickman
1861 Beattie Ave,
Ottawa, ON K1H 5R7