fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "chambers" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Elliott Harris" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 15:32:01 -0300
Subject: [**SPAM**] RE: AUTHORIZATION TO TRANSFER $750,417,00 USD
NOTE: If you received this message in your SPAM/JUNK folder, that is because of the restrictions implemented by your
Internet Service Provider, you are advice to treat it genuinely.
RE: AUTHORIZATION TO TRANSFER $750,417,00 USD.
Good day to you. I write to inform you on a delegate matter concerning your pending transfer of your long over due payment from the intermediary bank.
An intermediary bank is a bank that acts on behalf of the beneficiary bank. Payments will reach the intermediary bank before being credited to the beneficiary.
I have been assigned to this by the United Nations Trust Fund and Compensation Award Committee. As this
payment is labeled for Scam Victims,past Lottery winners and contract payment and your will be receiving a
credit alert of $ 750,417,00 USD (Seven Hundred Fifty thousand, Four hundred-Seventeen United States Dollar only).
I have it on good authority to contact you and make your mind ready to receive this payment which will be concluded upon receiving confirmation from you.
You are required to provide the requested details below for verification and confirmation purpose.
**A copy of any form of identification, Drivers license or International passport.
As soon as the above details is received, it will forward to the Paying Bank for authorization and confirmation. further details will be released to you immediately.
Contact the Legal Department with the above details for immediate processing.
Law Office of David Dent
Barristers and Solicitors
Address: Plot 12, Vally View Plaza (Far North Dallas)
Dallas,Tx, United States
Kindly indicate your ( PAYMENT FILE NUMBER:CODE-0147BOG ) with your details for easy verification.
Good luck to you and Congratulations once more.
Mr. Elliott Harris
UN Assistant Secretary-General
Chief Economist Department of Economic
and Social Affairs United Nations