fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Miller" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:06:14 -0500
Subject: Sincere Greetings
I am Miss. Rosslyn Miller, working in New York City USA.
Our company is in urgent need of a medicinal herbal seed called (XRASINTA HERBAL SEED) it is vital in the production of vaccines and antiviral drugs for animals in India or Philippines. These herbal seed are locally preserved for medicinal purposes in INDIA / Philippines and is used as an ingredient for production of animal vaccines and antibodies like Oseltamivir an antiviral animal drug that slows the spread of influenza (flu) virus between cells in the body by stopping the virus from chemically cutting ties with its host cell.
The medicinal Herbal seed are sourced and sold in India at the rate of $2,000USD and hope it is within same range in Philippines per sachet but, our company buys it at the rate of $6,000USD per sachet from our former supplier.
Our company former supplier had some business dispute with my company and presently my company are no longer in business dealings with him. At present the management of our company is very much in need of another supplier of these herbal seed. Meanwhile nobody in the company knows the source of these materials except the former supplier and me. I kept this information to myself due to my personal interest in this business opportunity.
If you can invest time and money in buying the herbal seed from the local seller in INDIA or Philippines, whom I will give his contact details to you and you sell to my company, whatever the profit we will share it after you deduct any expenses incurred in the transaction.
This will be a long term business transaction, on receipt of your positive response, I will give you more information and If you are interested kindly get back to me swiftly.
If you are interested contact me via my E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Miss. Rosslyn Miller