fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Ms Alice Hall." (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 18:07:24 -0200
Subject: RE: THE TRUST ABOUT YOUR FUNDS!!!
I am Ms Alice Hall a US citizen, Am 45 years old. I am one of those people that took part in receiving Inheritance funds and Lottery funds from European banks even from many lottery organizers few years ago and they refused to pay me, I had paid different fees while in the United States trying to get my funds from those banks and lottery organizers but all to no avail. So I decided to travel to Nigeria with all my compensation documents, and I was directed by the IMF Director to contact the reconciliatory Barr. Khalid Spoon who is an attorney, A British citizen and a member of the UNITED NATIONS & IMF COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE currently working with IMF in the Nigeria and I contacted him and he explained everything to me. He said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake. Barr. Khalid Spoon personally directed me on how to claim my Inheritance or Lottery payment.
Right now I have received my compensation funds of $9,500,000.00 Moreover, Barr. Khalid Spoon as he is a very religious man with the fear of God. He showed me the full information of those that are yet to receive their Inheritance or Lottery payment and I saw your name as one of the beneficiaries, and your email address, that is why I decided to email you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, they are only making money out of you.
I will personally advise you to contact Barr. Khalid Spoon, he will assist you.
Compensation Award Office.
Name: Barr. Khalid Spoon
Email Address: khalidSpoon@protonmail.com
Listed below are the name of fraudsters and banks behind the non release of your funds that I managed to sneak out for your kind perusal.
1) Mr. James B. Comey Jr.
2) Robert S. Mueller, III.
3) Mr Ban Ki-moon.
4) Ms. Carman L. Lapointe.
5) Mr. Ibrahim Lamorde.
6) Mr. Dan Rochas (I.M.F).
7) Mr Jim Ovia: Zenith Bank Plc In Nigeria.
8) Dr Godwin Emefiele.
9) Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.
10) Mr Danny Blessed.
You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing. The only money I paid after I met Barr. Khalid Spoon was just $400usd for the Endorsement Fee, take note of that.
Thank You and Be Blessed.
Ms Alice Hall.
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivÃrus.