fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:51:31 -0500
Subject: ATTN Dear Beneficiary You so Lucky
This office is writing to you to let you know that we have successfully bring
all foreign transaction down here because of the complains and reports we are
receiving that our dear citizens are being intimidating, cheating and depriving
their legal right to their inherited, winning and contract funds from foreign
Therefore in proving American's greatness, all matter regarding local and
international transactions from African, Europe, Asia etc has be released and a
total funds of $58,700,000.00 United States Dollars is in your name according
to the gathered files so far and you are to contact us today for the release
and the claim of the funds if you are still interested to receive your funds as
we have done our best to secure all the funds that was unable to transfer from
N:B After this clearing house, all unclaimed funds goes to Federal treasury as
unclaimed funds as the beneficiary will be assumed dead.
Charles K Roberson
Phone no:+1-929-324-7281, sms
@ Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House # 1 Bowling Green, New York, NY 10004,