fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Beneficiary form<firstname.lastname@example.org>"@mx.perteghella.it
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 05:08:15 -0800
Subject: COMPENSATION REFUND
COMPENSATION!!! CONTRACT AWARDED PAYMENT, INHERITANCE FUND PAYMENT, LOTTERY WINNING PAYMENT
It has come to our notice that upon your over due fund payment you have not been paid despite fees you have paid, that is why i Mr. Christopher Wray director Federal Bureau of Investigation has authorize you to the rightful pay master from the office of the Presidency Nigeria that will release your fund payment valued at $300,000 (Three Hundred Thousand Dollars) only
RE-CONFIRM AND FILL THE FOREIGN BENEFICIARY FORM BELOW
1. Full Name:___________________________________________
2. Contact Address:_____________________________________
3. Age/ Occupation:_____________________________________
4. Telephone number:____________________________________
5. Awarded Fund amount:_________________________________
Re-confirm these information above so that we can forward it to the rightful paymaster that will pay you your fund this month through the watchful eye of Attorney Hayden Idris Coons from United Kingdom who shall be representing you on your behalf to ensure transparency and accountability upon your fund payment this administrative year 2018.
Yours in service
CC: Mr. Bukola Saraki
SENATE PRESIDENT NIGERIA
CC: Mr. Christopher A. Wray
DIRECTOR FBI USA AMERICA