fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Barbara johnson <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 22:07:31 +0100
Subject: REPLY TO THIS EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
From The Desk Of: Ebube Micheals
Payment Center UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Reply to: Email: email@example.com
THIS IS TO INFORM YOU ABOUT YOUR INHERITANCE/CONTRACT FUNDS WHICH HAVE
BEEN DUE AND APPROVED BY THE FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE AND ECONOMIC
IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...WE HAVE YOUR FUNDS HERE WITH US
HENCE YOU HAVE TO
SEND THE FOLLOWING DETAILS FOR ONWARD TRANSFER OF YOUR FUNDS TO YOU;
1.YOUR FULL NAMES
2.YOUR RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS
3.DIRECT PHONE NUMBER
MODE OF SENDIGN THE FUNDS :
THE ABOVE INFORMATION WILL BE FORWARDED TO THE CENTRAL COMPUTING UNIT
FOR THE PREPARATION OF YOUR TRANSFER CERTIFICATES
WHICH IS VERY IMPERATIVE AND THE TRANSFER OF YOUR FUNDS TO YOU.YOU ARE
HEREBY IMPLORE TO DIVULGE TO US HOW YOU WANT YOUR
FUNDS TO BE ENACTED TO YOU.YOU HAVE TO PICK FROM THE UNDERNEATH:
AMOUNT TO BE TRANSFERRED IS THE SUM OF SEVEN MILLION FIVE HUNDRED
THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS ONLY ($7.5MILLION)
1.ATM CARD: THE FUNDS WILL BE LOADED THE ATM CARD AND SEND TO YOU VIA
DHL COURIER FOR YOU TO START WITHDRAWING FROM ANY
ATM MACHINE OF YOUR CHOICE.
2.CERTIFY CHEQUE: IT WILL BE SENT VIA CHECK ABD YOU WILL TAKE THE CHECK
TO ANY BANK AND THE BANK WILL PAY YOU IN FULL THE
ABOVE MENTIONED FUNDS.
3.TRANSFER TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT:IT WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO YOUR BANK
ACCOUNT VIA KEY TELEGRAPHIC TRANSFER.
YOUR FUNDS WILL BE ENACTED FROM NEW YORK USA HENCE YOU HAVE TO STOP
EVERY COMMUNICATION FROM ANY DEPARTMENT OR OFFICE IN
RESPECT TO YOUR FUNDS TO ENABLE US ENACT YOUR FUNDS WITHOUT ANY HITCH.WE
HAVE WORKED OUT THE MODALITIES FOR THE TRANSFER
OF YOUR FUNDS WHICH HAD MEETS ALL REQUIREMENTS IN OUR COUNTRY AND THOSE
OF THE INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION.
REPLY THIS EMAIL AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU