fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Amb . Dorris Humphrey" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 21:22:59 -0800
Subject: Amb .Dorris Humphrey
Email Owner Only,
I am pleased to inform you on behalf of Equity Bank that we have received mandate instructions from our banks headquarter,approved by the following offices,EUROPEAN UNION/ IMF, FBI and World Bank authorizing us to mandate Federal Reserve Bank of New York to debit our bank account with them then credit your personal bank account with the total funds approved in your favor.
Express instructions have been given to Federal Reserve Bank of New York to credit your personal bank account with the outstanding sum valued for US$15,000,000.00 as soon as you receive this mail notification and contact Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
Meanwhile Equity Bank received advise from our bank crediting adviser that it will be HITCH free for the crediting of the said funds to your personal bank account to be done through Federal Reserve Bank of New York because of the amount involved so we decided to allow Federal Reserve Bank of New York to handle the final crediting of the funds to your personal bank account as it will be faster.
Kindly contact Federal Reserve Bank of New York via their contact details below as soon as you receive this mail as the bank officials is waiting for you to contact them for guideline on how to receive the $USD15,000,000 meanwhile furnish your personal details such as.
1. Full Names
2. Contact Address
3. Contact Phone Number/ Cell Phone Numbers
6. Any valid Id card, Drivers License or International Passport.
Kindly contact the bank via their contact details below .
Federal Reserve Bank of New York
33 Liberty St New York NY 10045, USA
Do not hesitate to get intouch with us if there is anything you do not understand as all this measure is to ensure you receive your funds without any delay.
Yours in Services
Amb . Dorris Humphrey
Equity Bank of New York USA.