fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 08:29:30 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ATM VISA CARD
NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ATM VISA CARD
This is to officially inform you that we have verified your contract file
presently on my desk Your ATM Card of $15.5 USD has been approved and was
deposited with DHL delivery company this morning for registration,and we
agreed up that the delivery of Your $15.5 Million USD ATM Package will take
off tomorrow morning .So contact with your full information where you want
your ATM card to be delivered to you,
(1) Full name---------
(2) Mobile Number:--------------
(3) Direct telephone number------
(4) Country of origin:--------
(5) Your Current delivery address:----
(6) Occupation/ age/ sex-----
(7) City -------------------
Urgent get back to us today with your full address where your ATM card
will be delivered to, because i will not be in the office next week.
Contact email(firstname.lastname@example.org)The amount in your Card is US$15.5
Million and your Pin code is: (9106).all you have to do now is to reply
us immediately for easy delivery and make sure you didnât do any mistake
avoid wrong delivery. And by tomorrow Mr David Collins will depart Benin
Republic with your packages with Any mistaking and once he get to the airport
he will call you or send you an email to Know if you at home, thank you very
much for being on our service.
DHL COURIER COMPANY
Address: 226/41 Midombo Expressway-Cotonou
Phone/Fax : +229-97581135.
UPS COURIER SERVICE BENIN REPUBLIC.