fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "fbi washington" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real FBI will not tell you to contact some email address. If you are in any doubt, contact an FBI field office via www.fbi.gov. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Christopher A. Wray" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 07:46:06 -0800
Subject: Your immediate response will be required?..
This is to inform you that your payment of USD$10 Million from the Federal =
Republic of Nigeria has been released and ready to be paid to your via ATM =
VISA CARD which you will use to withdraw the US$17.5 Million from any ATM M=
achine in any part of the world.
we have a meeting with the Federal Government of Nigeria, we informed them =
that your fund should not cost you any thing because is your money (Your Ca=
rd). Moreover, we have an agreement with them that you should pay only deli=
vering of your card and insurance coverage fee which will cost you $150 U.S=
. DOLLARS for the delivering of your ATM CARD/insurance coverage.
However, you have only three working days to send this $150 U.S.DOLLARS To =
MR.JACKSON HENRY for the delivering of your card, if we don=2019t hear from=
you with the payment information; the Federal Government will cancel the c=
We have mandated the Arab Bank Nigeria to issue an ATM VISA CARD and PIN# w=
hich you will use to withdraw the fund from any ATM machine in any part of =
the world but the maximum amount you can withdraw per day is US$20,000.00. =
You are strongly advice immediately to contact Mr James Morgan the Manager =
of Arab Bank Nigeria Plc via this email address:
email@example.com Or call him on this number +234-9082-828307 only =
for your (delivering of your ATM CARD/insurance coverage) and he will deliv=
ered your ATM visa card to you immediately.
No other charges except the delivering of your ATM CARD/insurance coverage.=
Listen as soon as he received the $150 Your delivery will take place( Pin =
Release order confirmation same day).
Note: You will only apply the pincode when you have paid your delivering of=
your ATM CARD/insurance coverage. because for now, it is still invalid unt=
il your ATM visa card get to you. If you pay your delivering of your ATM CA=
RD/insurance coverage fee your pin number will be authenticated and gets va=
lid thereby withdrawing your funds to the newly introduced system of paymen=
t by the Federal Republic of Nigeria and you can then make withdrawal by yo=
urself. This is very
simple just contact Mr James Morgan .and send him your information such as;
1) Your Full Name.
2) Your Contact Address. working one because is where the ATM card
will go in to avoid mistake.
3) Your Home Phone, Mobile/Cell Phone and fax Number.
REMEMBER YOU HAVE SPENT A LOT TOWARDS THIS PACKAGE ONCE THE CHARGE FEE REQU=
IRED NOW IS PAID SHIPMENT WILL COMMENCE AND YOU WILL RECOVER ALL YOU HAVE S=
PENT RECENTLY. THE CHARGE FEE REQUIRED NOW IS NOT MUCH SO YOU WILL BE ABLE =
TO AFFORD THE LAST FEE NEEDED WHICH IS $150 ONLY MY ADVICE TO YOU IS TO GO =
AHEAD AND SEND THE CHARGE FEE VIA WESTERN UNION. THE WESTERN UNION INFORMAT=
ION BELOW BELONG TO Mr James Morgan BRANCH MANAGER OF Arab Bank Nigeria SH=
IPPING DEPARTMENT NIGERIA. SEND
$150 TO BELOW NAME
Contact Mr James Morgan of the federal ministry of finance payment Centre w=
ith the following Information: Mr James Morgan you have been advice to Cont=
act Mr James Morgan for the RECEIVERS NAME that you will use to send the fe=
e of $150 Dollars so Contact him for the RECEIVERS NAME help yourself now b=
efore all our effort will be in vain Please Contact he to his Officer Mr Ja=
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org =
please Contact emal: email@example.com
Immediately contact Mr James Morgan via E-mail along with the MTCN because =
the ATM VISA CARD approval in your name has been sent to Mr James Morgan an=
d he is waiting for your above information include the evidence of Western =
Union or Money Gram (payment paper) to enable the most complete and up-to d=
ate records possible so that he will process and
send you the CARD and PIN number without any delay. If the $150 can not be =
send now to Mr James Morgan , we can as well cancel this and contact all th=
e necessary authorities to this, we are waiting, asap your question,So make=
sure you contact him right now with your information and tell him that you=
received a message from the FBI of united state,
Instructing you to contact him to pay only $150 for immediate release of y=
our fund via ATM VISA CARD.you have no other payment to make except the del=
ivering fee/insurance coverage fee.
Presently, this are few people that received there payment through FedEx a=
nd Dhl website (www.FEDEX.com)/ (www.dhl.com)
LINDA KNICKERBOCKER =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D 1426426772 =
LD =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D 1426428662 (www.dhl.com)
GARY METZGER =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D 871363186860 (www.F=
MARK STUBBS =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D871363116168 (www.FED=
Contact me if there is any delay from the so called gentleman ncharge.Note=
that, the delivering fee/insurance coverage is must and very important, so=
take note of that.any other contact or payment you make apart from the del=
ivering fee/insurance coverage is at your own risk. After Mr James Morgan b=
ring a report to us here that he have received the fee and your delivery wi=
ll fasten under 48hours, WE will like your respond to this call to avoid
any further delaying. Do not be afraid for the fee, when replying this mail=
, include your position and address so that we can register it here.
Remember: you require urgently to contact Mr James Morgan with belowe-mail =
address firstname.lastname@example.org immediately after
making the payment for the delivery of your ATM VISA CARD.
NOTE:FOR NON APPEARANCES,DO NOT CONTACT Mr James Morgan, IF YOU CAN NOT PAY=
FOR THE SHIPPING/INSURANCE COVERAGE OF YOUR ATM CARD AND THE CARD IS NOT F=
OR YOU. SO YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Your immediate response will be required.
Christopher A. Wray FBI
FROM MR Christopher A. Wray FBI
Washington DC FBI.Room, 7367J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20535-0001