fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Phil Gate" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 09:40:43 -0700
Subject: FROM SUPREME COURT HIGH COURT ECO-WAS WORLD WIDE
FROM SUPREME COURT HIGH COURT ECO-WAS WORLD WIDE
Good day, before I commence I will like to indicate my gratitude well know to you, it might sound you ridicules, this message is from the Department of Government Of West African High Court Eco-was, why I took the obligation to write you is that, as the chief judge of the Nation are having a great problem with the United Nation and US Embassy here in my country all because of you.
Now I want to let you know that it have been a war here for a week and two days now, so I decided to control everything with my veto power rested on me as the chief judge of this country, you can go through my profile so that you will get me right okay. http://pmnewsnigeria.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Justice-Aloysius-Katsina-Al.jpg am the new chief judge of High Court Eco-was B/R now I want to share this with you and I want you to tell me the whole truth and nothing but the truth so that I will know how to face or handle the circumstance, (1.) Have you been sending fee to this country? (2.) Have you received any money from any one from this county? (3.)Have you received your ATM CARD? tell me the whole through about this and i will help you as the new chief judge to receive your ATM CARD fund.
Please I need your urgent respond and I want you never put fear in this matter just be sincere with me and tell me how thing have been for all this while, am having problem now with United Nation and US Embassy here, putting me and my country as a fraudsters on BBC NEWS so your name was among those been scammed from my country and I will like you to indicate to me perfectly. Due to you have been compensated with $10.5 Million credited into ATM CARD and once i confirm the truth from you i shall proceed to deliver the Card to you without any further delaying.
You advice to contact me Chief judge Phil Gate to this Email-( email@example.com ) or Text me here +361-502-6435 call me here +234 8039-1315-344 with your full address information urgent to enable him deliver your ATM CARD fund $10.5 million immediately. I Waiting to hear from you toward these imperative thanks.
FROM SUPREME COURT HIGH COURT ECO-WAS WORLDWIDE
CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE SUPREME