fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: jane kane <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 17:24:50 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: YOUR ATM CARD.
This is to bring you notice that i have register your ATM VISA CARD
with DHL COURIER .And the card's value is $1.5 millions
united state dollars,
The delivery charges has been paid but i did not pay their
official keeping fees since they refused.Reasons for their refusal is
because they do not know when you are going to contact them because
the keeping fee is $45 dollars per a day.
And i deposited it yesterday being 22th Oct 2019 So that is reason why
i did not pay for keeping fee is only you are going to pay them as the
owner,so i want you to contact them urgent to avoid increase of their
Contact Mr. Johnson Udo
DHL DIRECTOR GENERAL
This are the information needed for easy delivery of your CARD.1.YOUR
FULL NAME_____,2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS______,3..YOUR PHONE AND CELL
A COPY OF YOUR PICTURE____,5.YOUR COUNTRY_____
So as soon as you received your card do let me know ok,
Mrs Jane Kane