fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- direct phone number to the below email address firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com regards, mr kennedy uzoka (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "MR.KENNEDY UZOKA"<firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 14:46:19 -0700
Subject: GOOD NEWS REGARDING YOUR PAYMENT.....
UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA - AFRICA'S GLOBAL BANK
HEAD OFFICE ADDRESS UBA HOUSE
57 MARINA P.O. BOX 2406 LAGOS NIGERIA
phone no: +234 802 263 0701
FAX: 234 674 478 8273
I Am Mr.Knnedy Uzoka the director cash processing united bank for African the international monetary fund (I.M.F.) in conjunction with Organization of African Unity (A.U) is compensating all the scam victims with $1.500.000.00USD and your email address was found in the scam victim's, the united bank for African and Federal Reserve Bank has been mandated by the (I.M.F) to pay your compensation ($1.500, 000.00USD) in cash through means of diplomatic courier service hand delivery.
Take note that Three thousand united states dollars (usd$3,000) have been mapped out for all expenses in taxes and other documents that matters. Therefore, kindly forward your home address, direct phone number to the below email address
Mr Kennedy Uzoka
Director cash processing unit
United bank of Africa. (U.B.A).
phone no: +234 802 263 0701
"Perhatian: E-mail ini (termasuk seluruh lampirannya, bila ada) hanya ditujukan kepada penerima yang tercantum di atas. Jika Anda bukan penerima yang dituju, maka Anda tidak diperkenankan untuk memanfaatkan, menyebarkan, mendistribusikan, atau menggandakan e-mail ini beserta seluruh lampirannya. Mohon kerjasamanya untuk segera memberitahukan PT Nebula Surya Corpora di alamat email yang tercantum di atas serta menghapus e-mail ini beserta seluruh lampirannya. Semua pendapat yang ada dalam e-mail ini merupakan pendapat pribadi dari pengirim yang bersangkutan dan tidak serta merta mencerminkan pandangan PT Nebula Surya Corpora., kecuali telah terdapat kesepakatan antara pengirim dan penerima bahwa e-mail ini termasuk salah satu bentuk komunikasi kedinasan yang dapat diterima oleh kedua pihak."
"Caution: The information enclosed in this email (and any attachments) may be legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message. Unless it is made by the authorized person, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of PT Nebula Surya Corpora."